Find Out More About Your Mother's Life
In honor of Mother’s Day, we’re bringing you a list of questions to ask your mother, grandmother, aunt, or any other mothering figure in your life. These questions are designed spark meaningful conversations you’ll appreciate for years to come. There’s no need to make it a formal affair. You can save this list and re-visit it from time to time, using the prompts in conversations over an extended period of time. Alternatively, you could use a service like Storii, which is an online life story platform that makes it easy for you or your loved one to document their life story in a Q & A format.
We’re only children for a very short period of time. Therefore, we know our mothers as adults for the vast majority of our lifetime. While the role of a mother can be a significant one, she had a whole life before you were born and after you left home. Have you ever taken the time to ask her about her life story experiences or gotten to know more about her outside her role as your mother? There are bound to be memories and stories she’s never shared that you will enjoy discovering!
Life Story Questions to Ask Your Mom or Grandma
- If you could re-live one day of your life over again exactly as you are now, which day would you choose?
- What is one of the hardest choices you’ve had to make?
- If you could've done something entirely different career-wise, what would you have done?
- What have been the best and worst parts about getting older?
- When in your life have you felt most alive-- most yourself?
- Is there anything you regret not doing or learning?
- What is something you're proud of yourself for?
- Is there anything you wish you wouldn’t have worried so much about?
- Have you had any significant relationships I don’t know about? What’s the story there?
- What were you like as a teenager?
- What were you like as a child?
- What, if any, kind of family drama was there as you grew up?
- Which home that you lived in growing up was your favorite and why?
- Have you ever had a funny or meaningful encounter with a stranger that you’ll always remember?
- What is your happiest childhood memory?
- What is your saddest childhood memory?
- Do you feel like your parents let you down in any way? How so?
- What did you admire most about your parents?
- What do you remember about your parents' relationship? How did your understanding of their relationship influence your own romantic partnerships?
- Who, or what, would you consider to be your first love?
- What has your faith/religious/spiritual journey been like?
- What do you like about yourself?
- Have you ever done something that you thought you’d never do?
- What are the best and worst parts about being a mother?
- Are there any stories, myths, legends, characters, etc. that you feel attached to?
- What is the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever bought?
- If you were randomly given three days off work, how would you spend those days?
- What makes you feel nostalgic?
- What is one of your favorite memories with me?
- How do you think you’ve changed over the years?
Capture Your Mother's Stories
Storii makes a fantastic and unique mother's day gift, especially for a grandma or elderly woman in your life. You can gift her the opportunity to share her memories and life stories. Plus, it's really a gift you and your loved ones will cherish after she's gone. A Storii account gives you access to a database of thousands of life story questions. Questions can be answered with video, audio, text, and/or images. Answers can easily be shared, downloaded, or printed off as a keepsake.
Crunched for time? Have a tech-adverse mom? Storii's Life Story Calls makes it super simple to capture your loved one's memories and stories with virtually no effort on your part. They can even use their landline number! Storii enables people to build up a legacy over time to be cherished for many lifetimes.